- Nick Kyrgios held back tears as he entered the court ahead of his match against Rafael Nadal on Monday wearing a Kobe Bryant jersey.
- Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, died in a helicopter crash Calabasas, California on Sunday alongside seven others.
- Kyrgios, who was visibly distressed as he entered the Rod Laver Arena, warmed up in the Los Angeles Lakers shirt, which had Bryant’s name and former number on.
- A number of other tennis stars, including Nadal, Novak Djokovic, and Stanislas Wawrinka, also paid tribute to Bryant on social media.
- “My heart truly mourns over the news today,” Djokovic wrote on Instagram. “Kobe was a great mentor and friend.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter, Gianna, died in a helicopter crash Calabasas, California on Sunday. Seven others also died in the crash.
Kyrgios, a well known basketball fan, was visibly distressed as he walked out to the packed crowd wearing a Los Angeles Lakers shirt with Bryant’s name and former number on, covering his face as he fought off tears.
He also became emotional as he sat on his chair, before warming up in the gold jersey.
—ATP Tour (@atptour) January 27, 2020